We operate our business from three facilities in The UK and a fourth in The Netherlands; and are very aware of the effects on the environment our business can have. In 2010 we achieved ISO14001 Environmental Management Standards Certification, to complement the ISO9001 accredited certification we have held since June 1994.
As responsible employers we encourage all our staff and directors of the company to work together and be aware of the part they play in reducing our Carbon Footprint. From the simplest of measures, such as the recycling of waste paper and cardboard, to more efficient route planning and reduction in the speed our vehicles maintain, these have all become a part of our everyday routine at Bakro International Transport.
At Bakro International Transport we are committed to the continuance of our Sustainability Programme. We know that as a company the decisions we make today will have long term effects on the environment and future generations. Therefore with the co-operation of our workforce, customers and suppliers we are confident we can achieve further reductions in energy and used Co2 emissions.
Four Point Business Overview
The four point business overview explains our approach to Carbon Reduction and Sustainability Programmes.
- Key carbon footprint measures identified
Continuous commitment to establishing a carbon reduction programme across all four business units; in Milton Keynes, Leighton Buzzard, Felixstowe and The Netherlands.
- Data input to CarbonView software
Investment in ‘CarbonView’ software enabling us to measure the significant carbon generating aspects of the business and thus reduce it via suitable carbon reduction programmes.
- Company carbon footprint quantified
The initial process of quantifying the companys’ carbon footprint, against the ‘key’ measures has been achieved using data gathered from 1st October 2010 to 30th October 2011.
- Carbon reduction programme Our carbon reduction programme has been established and is monitored on an on-going basis.
To ensure we are doing everything we can to reduce our carbon footprint we have invested in CarbonView software, this gives us accurate up to date information enabling us to make strategic decisions to improve our carbon footprint.
With the assistance of CarbonView we have gathered data and analysed our carbon footprint at each of our facilities from October 2010. (This data available on request)
As a hosted, web-based system CarbonView is a carbon accounting and management tool that has been developed to allow organisations to minimise their environmental impact and become more energy efficient through the process of:
- Measuring | Collecting data from disbursed sources, and consolidating this in one central repository to provide visibility into an organisations carbon footprint or track against emission targets.
- Monitoring | Real-time visibility into an organisations carbon emissions and tracking performance of emission reduction strategies in conjunction with company metrics.
- Mitigating | Comparing and evaluating emission reduction strategies, integration of offsets into carbon footprint calculations and energy efficiency improvement; all contributing to a reduction in operational costs.
View examples of our progress:
For more information regarding CarbonView visit their website at www.carbon-view.com.
Key Measures for Carbon Reduction
There are three areas within our business where we think carbon reduction is possible, these are Distribution, Office Waste and Utilities.
In comparison to other areas of our business, our vehicle fleet is the most challenging area of our business to reduce Co2 emissions from. Bakro have made a commitment to achieving lower Co2 emissions and this has been reflected in the purchase of new hybrid company cars.
Other reduction methods for Bakro vehicles:
- Continual upgrading of vehicle fleet for increased efficiency
- Driver training and awareness programme, driver CPC training on going
- Investigating use of alternative fuels as they become available and cost effective
- Work with customers to achieve delivery timescales which allow for the most efficient route planning
Reduction methods for Office Waste:
- To work with Landlords to ensure reduction of waste
- In conjunction with Landlords, operate recycling programmes to keep landfill waste to a minimum.
- New overhead LED lighting installed in offices, warehouse and exterior areas of our Head Office
- Encourage staff to take responsibility for disposing of their daily food and drink waste in the correct manner.
- Encourage staff to recycle paper where possible
- Encourage our customers to accept and send information electronically rather than by hard copy
Utilities (Water, Gas & Electricity)
Reduction methods for utilities:
- Bakro will investigate in conjunction with landlords use of ‘greener’ energy sources
- Encourage staff to turn lights off when leaving work area